As Spinal cord injuries can have life-altering effects, it is important that we give them the attention they deserve. Spinal cord injuries result from damage to spinal cord itself, or to the vertebrae, ligaments or disks of the spinal column. In most cases, such injuries result from a sudden, traumatic blow to your spine that dislocates or fractures one or multiple vertebrae. The tricky part of this kind of an injury is that there is often additional damage that will occur over an undefined time period after the accident. For example, such an injury may cause bleeding, swelling or inflammation around your spinal cord. As this type of injury is certainly one to be cautious about, it is important to be knowledgeable of its causes. Here are some of the most common causes of spinal cord injuries:
- Motor vehicle accidents: these types of accidents are the leading cause of spinal cord injuries. In fact, they represent about 35% of newly acquired spinal cord injuries every year.
- Pedestrian accidents: accidents involving motor vehicles and pedestrians often lead to serious injuries, such as spinal cord injuries.
- Diseases: though the effects are often non-traumatic, diseases such as arthritis, cancer or disk degeneration of the spine can cause spinal cord injuries.
- Sport related accidents: Approximately 9% of spinal cord injuries result from sport related accidents.
- Slip and fall accidents: slip and fall accidents constitute more than one quarter of spinal cord injuries. These are more common with people over the age of 65.
Spinal cord injuries can result from any of the above situations. As they are traumatic events that can cause significant distress for the rest of one’s life, it is important to treat the situation appropriately. At Cantini Law Group, we have over 30 years of experience fighting for compensation for individuals who have been hurt due to another’s negligence. If you or a loved one has been involved in a catastrophic accident and suffered a spinal cord injury, call one of our experienced personal injury lawyers at 1-844-CANTINI (226-8464) for a free consultation.